Alright, so I made the commitment on Facebook, so it's time to make it here, for my posterity. I am running a Half Marathon in August. When I originally had this "brilliant" idea the race was at least 8 months away and I had plenty of time for training. I have two main reasons I wanted to do a half marathon. The first- forcing my body to get in shape. I'm decently happy with it, but why not be super fit and healthy if I don't have an excuse not to be. No more babies coming out of this body, so it's time for some restoration work. The second reason is slightly more complicated. I need to ACCOMPLISH something. Those of you who know my family know that there is a LOT to measure up to. I have a sister that has like 6 degrees and a high paying, high power job, plus she's ultra super mom with a happy happy marriage. I have a brother who just got his Masters while working full time and raising his amazingly compassionate and well-behaved children, all while his super smart and accomplished wife (who just passed her CPA exam) also works full time. Then I have another brother who is so smart that I (the stay at home mom) have a hard time following what he says when we have a conversation. His senior project was building a device to give a musical experience to the deaf... so they could feel the music. He has great ideas all the time and is a budding entrepreneur... just like his dad. When you add all this to my amazing mother who just served a mission, keeps getting promoted in her TEMPLE job, and serves people 24/7, I am feeling like a DUD.
Now, I don't pretend that running HALF of a marathon is anywhere near getting a masters degree or inventing important things, but it is a start for me. It's at least something hard for me to do, that no one is forcing me to do, since I don't have the money or the time to go get a masters degree.
The first couple weeks of training were pretty brutal. Running a mile in under 10 minutes caused much pain and suffering. I've kept it up though, and I can very proudly say that I ran 5 miles last night. I have 12 weeks until the Hobblecreek Half, so I think I might just make it. I won't win the race, and I may not even RUN the whole thing, but I'm going to show up and do my best. Who knows, maybe I'll even do a real marathon someday.
7 comments:
Oh please. You fail to mention your incredible talent at quilting, sewing and cake-ing, you are running your own business, you have 4 delightful children, are super-mom yourself, and have an amazing marriage! Trust me, if I'm looking up to someone, I'm looking your way...
Ummmm hello??? I feel like the 1st commenter, You are AMAZINGLY talented!!!!
GOOD FOR YOU. Can't wait to hear the report. ;)
ditto! The whole time I was reading this I couldn't help but think of all the amazing things you have accomplished, so don't be so hard on yourself, you're making the rest of us look bad :) I admire you for setting a goal and sticking to it, good luck, you're awesome!!
I'm with them...you are amazing! But yes, it is nice to feel challenged and get that sense of accomplishment. Plus, running is great for the endorphins and keeping up energy and a clear mind to be a good mommy!
Enjoy the training! You'll do great!
I agree with your sister!
Good luck with the training! You are a better woman than I. I don't even think I could run a mile.
I hope to be at your finish line. I love you, and YOU are amazing. Training for a half on top of everything else you do so well just blows my mind.
WOW... IT IS SO HARD TO SEE THE WONDER OF YOURSELF. READING YOUR FAMILY'S ACCOMPLISHMENTS ARE GREAT MANDY BUT THEY ARE "THEIRS" AND PROBABLY NOTHING THAT YOU EVER EVEN ASPIRED TO BE. I MEAN.. I GUESS IT WOULD BE ONE THING IF YOU WANTED TO BE A SPA AND FAILED THE EXAM, OR... WELL... YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. I READ THIS AND THINK... WOW... I WONDER IF SHE ONLY KNEW HOW MANY TIMES I SAT AND THOUGHT "DANG THAT WOMAN HAS IT ALL TOGETHER AND SHE HAS EVERYTHING????? SHE HAS HER OWN BUSINESS... HER SUPER SWEET KIDS... HER FAMILY... I READ HER BLOG AND SHE IS ALWAYS HAPPY." I TOTALLY GET THAT NEED TO ACCOMPLISH THE GOALS BEYOND WHAT IS ALREADY LAID OUT. YOU PICKED A DOZEY OF A GOAL. WHEW.... GOOD LUCK TO YOU. I AM BETTING YOU ARE GOING TO DO AMAZING AND YOU WILL SONTINUE TO SET YOUR GOALS EVEN HIGHER AFTER YOU ACCOMPLISH THIS BABY!!!!!! PS. I TOTALLY KNOW HOW YOU FEEL ABOUT GETTING THE BODY IN SHAPE AND HAVING IT CLOSED OFF TO THE WHOLE BABY THING....FOREVER!!!! (CEPT YOU HAD QUITE THE LITTLE ROCKIN BODY LAST TIME I SAW YOU SO YOU HARDLY HAVE ANY WORK TO DO....... AS I HUFF AND PUFF EVERY MORNING!!! :) ) RUN RUN RUN AS FAST AS YOU CAN!!!!
Post a Comment