Thursday, June 05, 2008

Sweets

Just wanted to post a couple of cake pictures. I made this cake for the birthday of a girl that I visit teach. It was kind of a practice for the cake I was going to be making for Brandon's Grandma's 85th birthday. I experimented with the buttercream frosting... and although it tasted amazing, it was too buttery (if there is such a thing). It melted in the pastry bag from the heat of my hands. It also caused me grief when the color (which I had mixed a ton before putting it in the bag) started changing as I was piping. You can see the color changes in the photo. I can't figure out if that was from the heat of my hands or from time. I noticed the frosting of Grandma Rohner's sheet cake (which was a different recipe) got darker as the night wore on. Is this just a characteristic of using gel food coloring? It's far from a masterpiece, but here's Jennifer's Birthday cake:


And here's the cake I ended up with for Grandma Rohner (she really loves purple):


Brandon's parents threw Grandma a surprise party, so the fancy cake wasn't going to be enough to feed everyone... thus, a sheet cake (much harder than the fancy cake, honestly).

5 comments:

Michelle Bradley said...

you are amazingly creative and talented! I love it I have a friend like you!

Trish said...

I adore the Grandma cake with the roses. It's gorgeous. Yes, that is a common problem with gel coloring. I put mine in a plastic galon baggie and massage it, refrigerate it, bring it back to room temp and massage it again. This is a great job for kids, too. :)

Kristin said...

Wow those look great and I love the batman cupcakes too! You are so talented.

Renae S. said...

I love all your cakes and cupcakes you've made! Your grandma's cake turned out beautifully! You're so talented, girl! I don't know where you find the time for all of this!

Heidi said...

I love the purple cake for Grandma. You are amazing.