Wednesday, May 07, 2008

I did that!

It's possible that I've seen every episode of Ace of Cakes on the food network. I LOVE that show. So naturally, I've gotten the cake decorating bug. I bought most of the tools I'd need to do fondant cakes in November, but just haven't had the time to attempt my first cake. I was really surprised at how easy it was. It may have taken me an entire Sunday afternoon, but it was worth it. The finished product was not only beautiful, but delicious too. Carrot cake with Orange Buttercream frosting (Jessie, check out Cooks Illustrated for the fantastic recipes). YUM. I made the cake to celebrate the May birthdays on Brandon's side of the family. Happy Birthday to Grandma Rohner, Justin, Mason, and of course Daxton.



I look silly, but I didn't want my hair to catch fire.

I have to send a thank you out to Crystal, who let me come to her house and watch her make a cake one time. I got lots of good pointers from her.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Which Crystal did you watch?

The Amazing Crystal who makes the coolest aprons ever

or

The Amazing Crystal that no ones hair can live without

??? Love the cake!

MommyRohner said...

The amazing Crystal who does great hair and great cakes! I watched her make a pair of flip flops made out of cakes.

Shalice said...

Hey Mandy its Shalice. It was so fun to see you the other night! You and Nancy are such sweet friends to do the shower for Heather, it was so fun and the food was delish. You guys rock!

The cake you made is fabulous!! I love the colors. Feel free to check out our blog even though its not nearly as exciting as yours. I'll talk to ya later. Hope to see again soon.

Trish said...

The cake turned out great! I love Ace of Cakes, too. And Fondant is my friend (although I'm not so sure that Fondant feels the same about me!). We should bake cakes together some time! What fun!

Chelsea said...

where have I been? Loved catching up on all of your posts. The cake is fabulous, although I would hate to cut into it! The blessing post was so awesome, and I am happy for you that you were able to make peace that day, what a special day. Daxton, Daxton, Daxton. He is such a great kid. I am so waiting for that conversation with Brayden's teacher. Not saying that I will, just one of those things you really always hope for. That would make my year! Obviously she is a very connected and special teacher. We have muffins with moms tomorrow! The boutique looked great! So glad it was a success for you all, I was so bummed I couldn't make it...had a family bbq & a birthday party. Bummer!

Renae S. said...

So it's been a while since I've read your blog - so fun to read! This cake IS beautiful. I loved the blessing pictures - the person taking them did awesome! About your thumbsucking daughter, I've had 2 thumbsuckers so far. With K, we gave her $20 for not sucking it for 20 days (she was in Kindergarten)! It worked and was the best $20 we spent. I hope it will work with C. Oh, and Tabitha's room is gorgeous! I haven't seen it in its finished state. I love it!!

Crystal Caldwell said...

Thank you so much. you are so nice... Your cake looks awesome! Good job. I need to go and look at that cake website you were talking about.

Kristin said...

love the cake! It turned out great. I love Ace of Cakes too. I hope to one day be as good as you!

Niederfam said...

AMAZING!!!!! I SOOOOOO love that cake.....SERIOUSLY when do you sleep???? Do you??? ;)

Crystal said...

Okay that cake is awesome! I WISH I was the Crystal who could do that!!!!