Tuesday, December 04, 2007

We must be doing something right...

It seems like every day, or at least every other day, I am wondering to myself if all the discipline and "teaching moments" are even worth it. On this day (back in October) my heart truly swelled and tears came to my eyes when I saw what my boys were doing for their dad.
I was up in my sewing room working on a quilt and I knew the boys were in the backyard. I had the window open so I could hear them if they needed me. It seemed like they had been getting along for a really long stretch of time so I went down to check on them. They were in the garage when I got downstairs, so I asked them what they were doing. They know they're not supposed to play in the garage. Daxton quickly explained that they were looking for another shovel for Grady so he could help pick up grass too.

Brandon had thatched the yard in the morning to get it ready for the winter grass, but he had to leave for a Stake Priesthood meeting before the job of picking up the grass was done. Daxton and Grady decided (ON THEIR OWN!!!) to finish the job so he wouldn't have to do it when he got home. They were working so hard... and working TOGETHER... without fighting!
When the garbage can was too full to put anymore grass in they went and found some boxes to put the rest in.
It was so sweet to hear their answer when I asked them what they were doing. "We want to surprise daddy and get his work done." Their daddy was very surprised when they showed him what they'd done. He also got a little teary eyed.
We have wonderful, sweet little boys.

2 comments:

Niederfam said...

oh...that makes me teary eyed.....so sweet!!!!

Unknown said...

I love your blog! Your boys are so darling. I love those moments when they help on their own...it makes all the screaming and yelling worth it.