Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Family Reunion... Rohner Style

Brandon's dad worked really hard to plan a Rohner reunion over the Thanksgiving holiday. Apparently when the Rohners have a reunion it includes at least four generations back... or in this case 160 people! The whole idea was VERY overwhelming to me. I don't like being in huge crowds of people I don't know and being expected to socialize with them all was a little more than I could take. Family reunions on my side are SO different (stay tuned for the trip to Italy in June). The idea of coordinating that many people to be at several events per day for three days caused me some mild hyperventilating... and I didn't even have to do anything.
The events for the first day (friday after Thanksgiving) were a trip to the farm, bowling and a big polynesian dinner. All of that on the biggest shopping day of the year! I managed to squirrel my way out of the farm thanks to my "condition". Chasing goats with dollar bills attached to them and riding horses didn't seem prudent for someone as LARGE as I am these days.

Daxton with his 1st cousin Haydon Balzotti

1st cousin Mason Rohner with Grady

Uncle Kayson with Daxton

Grady and Daxton with the dollar bills they wrangled off a goat.


The 1st cousins eating lunch in the back of Brandon's truck.

So Brandon took the boys and they had a great time. I managed to inventory my food storage and pack up the boys summer clothes to be replaced with winter clothes. A very successful day, in my opinion. I convinced Brandon to come home instead of bowling so everyone could have a nap and be ready for the next thing... dinner and a talent show.

We showed up at the stake center to help set up for the big dinner. The tables were simply, but beautifully decorated by Tyfani (Brandon's sister) and Rachelle (his mom). They had leis and pineapples on them. The food was "interesting". I personally couldn't even look at the roast pig as I went through the food line. I had some mild gagging when I saw the piece of pork on my plate and had to give it away rather quickly if I was going to be able to eat anything that night. The teriyaki beef was excellent and the sapa sui (sp?) was pretty OK. Thank goodness for salad and lemonade though.
After dinner was an impromptu talent show. There were some excellent singers, and some even better piano players. Tawsi (Brandon's sister) and Rachelle did their clown/mime act, and it is hysterical. The Whitear sisters (3 of 5) did a couple of power tap routines. It's so unfair that they are so stunning and so talented. Talon (Brandon's brother) did a short karate routine.

Rachelle as the clown and Tawsi as the mime. Rachelle has just found ABC gum in the popcorn she picked up off the floor.

LaSher (sp?), Viva, and Cambria Whitear finish their routine


Talon during his routine.

Daxton REALLY wanted some pineapple. He didn't believe me when I told him his plastic knife wasn't going to work.


Grady hanging out with Uncle Dayton.

The next day had a golf tournament scheduled, along with a pinewood derby, racing shifter cars, and another big dinner. Several months ago I had booked a flight to Utah to be with my mom during the Festival of Trees (see the next post). So, Brandon interrupted his golf game (so sweet) to take me to the airport. That was the end of the reunion for me. From what I hear the boys got to play a few holes of golf with Brandon and then spent about 4 hours playing with pinewood derby cars. Brandon survived the shifter cars, but I'll admit that I was so worried he was going to crash and hurt himself. He has no concept of "slowly and cautiously".
I got a report from Rachelle that Daxton and Grady and Brandon all seemed to have a great time, but they showed up for dinner that night as filthy as possible because there wasn't time to go home and take baths. UGH. I'm sure we'll be known at the next reunion as the ones with the grubby kids.

No comments: