Monday, November 05, 2007

A Post for Posterity

My Grandma read my previous post and sent me this email about one of her own memories. I really wanted to save it, so it's going on here too.


Thank you for sharing your very tender experience of making Brandon's
birthday pie crust. I also watched your Dad make his pie crusts and
they were so very tender that I could see that it took a special
talent to get it into the pie pan without breaking apart.

Let me share with you the fact that these sadnesses eventually turn
into tender and loving memories as we see things that are reminiscent
of the loved ones we have lost. I am currently experiencing one of
my own which stands in our front yard.

When we moved from Indiana to Pennsylvania, we had been here a few
years when my father came to visit. Mother had passed away and we
enjoyed his "now and then" visits. On one of those visits he opened
up the trunk of his car and took out a small maple tree. He and my
brother had lovingly watched over a red maple which had seeded itself
in the yard of my home in Snug Harbor. When it got sturdy enough,
they dug it up and gave it to me. I've attached a picture of my
"Snug Harbor Tree" which brings me such happy memories, especially
each fall when its leaves turn. (I just took it yesterday.) So---as I
write this I also have tears, but don't have to protect a pie
crust. These wonderful memories come in all forms.

Thanks again for sharing,
Grandma

4 comments:

Shanen said...

Mandy those are great posts and great momeories. How lucky and grateful you must be to have them. I love that your grandma sent you that picture. It sounds like your birthday was just wonderful. I'm glad.

Michelle Y. said...

Hi Mandy, It's Michelle Yost. I noticed that Chelsea and Jamie have your blog link so I was just checking yours out and I just read your post. I swear you posted that by inspiration and I am so glad I wandered off to your blog. My mom is really sick right now with bone cancer and it just seems so unbearable some days to think of life without her. I am almost 30 and it is hard for me not to call her everyday. I really appreciate hearing about these precious moments beyond the veil.

Hey, I would love to invite you to my blog, it is on private. My email is yostmm@yahoo.com If you send me your email I can invite you. Do you mind if I add you to mine? Have a great day! Happy (late) birthday!

foreveryoung said...

Wow, what sweet memories and a beautiful tribute. Thanks for sharing and reminding me that it is the small things in life that often times mean the most.

Nichols Family said...

What a sweet tribute. Wow, that tree is beautiful. Makes me wish we got to stay in WI through the fall...then of course move back here for winter.