Tuesday, October 17, 2006

To Grandma's House We Go

I packed up the boys and myself at the end of September and it was off to Grandma's house for a LONG, RELAXING vacation. Yeah right. We went to Grandma's house and did so much while we were there, that I think I filled my memory card with all the pictures I took. We had plans every single day, and we had SO MUCH FUN!



The icing on the cake! Jessie decided to surprise me with a small surprise party since she never gets to celebrate my birthday with me. So, she had balloons and a princess cake, and I even got a surprise "happy birthday" sung to me when I walked in the door from buying my mom jalapenos for the guacamole. It was very thoughtful, and Daxton is still singing happy birthday to me every day. I've still got two and a half weeks of it, I guess. Oh, and yes, I wear that tiara around the house to remind all the testosterone I live with that they are in the presence of a princess.



Grandma took us to her favorite farmer's market where Daxton and Grady picked out a pumpkin for themselves and then proceeded to pick one out for Steve and Jessie, one for Cole, and one for Chris and Andrea. We pulled out the paint, and they got to work with their masterpieces. When it was all said and done, they had painted everyone's pumpkins for them. I figured I'd save the carving for when their dad is around to help them. That is not my job. YUCK!



An imporomptu "group hug" called for by Dawson at the Park City Outlets.



When Brandon came up for the weekend we got together with the cousins again and went to dinner and bowling. It was the first time bowling for all the kids and they had a great time. Brandon is as competitive as ever, but didn't need to worry because he was the only one taking the game seriously, and he won.



Jenny came down from Idaho for her mom's birthday and so we could see each other again. The boys and I went to visit her at her parents house and the kids played games and my boys mooched food off her mom. If anyone has any tips on how I can prevent that in the future, please feel free to let me know.
These pictures were taken at my mom's house when they were headed back up to Idaho. We wanted a picture of all of them together, but it was sure a lot of work. After several tries, this is the best we could do, and that was even with fruit snacks as a bribe.


We spent one day driving to Heber to ride on the Heber Creeper, which the boys loved and are still talking about. Mom and I, however, probably could have cut the ride in half and been happier. They don't tell you the train only goes 15 mph. We truly took the scenic route through provo canyon, and back. At least they had a food car, and a bunch of old ladies who wanted to give the boys their chips.


This trip was a milestone because the boys got to meet their first cousin from my side of the family. Introducing Dallin Christopher, the best baby I've ever met. He loves bright lights, and he can't keep his eyes open when he's in his bouncy chair. Daxton fell in love with Dallin. We had the pleasure of watching Dallin for three days while his mom worked on a tax deadline (she's a CPA), and his dad abandoned him to go to the lake for the long weekend. I thought it would be hard to add another child to the mix, but he's SO GOOD! I was actually afraid I'd walk out the door and leave him because I forgot he was there. The only hard part was hauling around that baby carrier and stroller. I forgot how heavy those baby carriers are.






We visited the dinosaur museum at Thanksgiving Point with Brandon's sister Tyfani and the boy's cousins Dawson and Hayden. The boys were so excited to have stamps on their hands they were showing them off to everyone. But that didn't even compare to the excitement of seeing the dinosaurs and digging for their bones. They all had a great time together and then it was off to the mall for some hot dogs, or fried cheese on a stick, whatever their little hearts desired.
Of course, a trip to the mall wouldn't be a complete success without a ride on the carousel. And since the boys were already being thoroughly spoiled by their grandma I figured I could spoil them a little too. That means they got to do TWO really fun things in one day!



Daxton spent every spare minute at my mom's house riding his "motorcycle" and looking for his friends (which he calls any boy in the neighborhood that he can see- even at a HUGE distance). Every time he wanted to go out I'd make him repeat the rules. He was very good at it. The rules are: don't talk to strangers (which means nothing to him since he doesn't consider anyone a stranger), don't go in anyone's house, and stay where mom can see you. He did a pretty good job following the rules this time. It used to be that my mom's backyard neighbor (there are no fences in their neighborhood) would call and say, "just letting you know I have Daxton here." I always felt like the worst mom. One minute he is playing in the sandbox and the next minute the phone is ringing and all I'm hearing is "Since you can't keep track of your child, I'll let him play here for awhile."




No comments: