Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Sweet Baby Hyatt (probably)

His name is not written in stone just yet, but Hyatt Cole feels like the right name for our little guy. I'm pretty sure that will be it because I'm just not coming up with anything better and I've begun to think of him as such.
Brandon and I, along with his mom Rachelle, went to the Dr.'s office yesterday for the 28 week ultrasound and the possibility of seeing him in 3D. The tech did all the typical measurements and explained what she was doing through all of it. When it came to the cord she flipped on the heat sensing thing and it showed up in red and blue. She asked, "are you the one with the two vessel cord?" Um, I don't think so. No one ever told me such a thing, I explained. A few moments of silence and looking and then she says, "you do have a two vessel cord." Well, of course I asked her what that means and she said that the umbilical cord typically has three vessels, one vein and two arteries. Our baby has one vein and one artery. I wasn't overly concerned because I can see him on the ultrasound and he looks pretty normal to me, but I can't help but ask if this is a problem. She says, sounding unconcerned, "it can mean some abnormalities, or problems with the heart or kidneys, but usually it just means the baby might be small."
Since ultrasound techs aren't doctors they don't usually give out so much information. I left it at that. We had just seen the kidneys and she said there was urine in them so they were working and we saw the heart beating away with all 4 of it's chambers. There wasn't much to be concerned about. The doctor was at the hospital on an emergency, so my appt. with her had to be rescheduled for tomorrow (thursday). That means I didn't get to ask any questions right away.
I did what any expectant mother would do and came home to google a 2 vessel umbilical cord. Most of what I found was reassuring. 50-65% of babies with this condition are born completely healthy and normal. The percentage goes up if the condition is detected early on. The doctors will likely order a more in-depth ultrasound to check out the heart and kidneys a little better, and they will monitor the baby more closely as we progress. He measured 3 lbs 3 oz., which is actually a week ahead of where he's expected to be, so being small isn't an issue yet. However, as time goes on he may not have the blood supply he needs, and his growth could slow. If he'll grow better outside than inside, they'll deliver him early.
Like I said, I haven't gotten to talk to my Dr. about this yet, but I feel prepared to ask the right questions when I arrive for my appt.
I'm not freaking out (yet) and I pray for the best for our little guy. We love him no matter what.

6 comments:

Shannon said...

Well that's a great name! Now on Facebook and the Blog? Oh... it's in STONE alright!

I sent Jess some information on what I know about this, it's not too much, but it's not completely foreign to me. I am 100% sure everything's fine but I will keep you guys, to be comforted, in my thoughts and prayers!

Shanen said...

Don't worry over there, prayers are coming your way, and hopefully tomorrow will bring peace of mind to all the concerns going through your little head right now. Be sure to update fast, so we know how tomorrow goes.

Pam Jorgensen said...

Carson had the SAME thing and he was born perfect and my biggest baby! No worries...Hyatt will be perfect too, I just know it!

Heather Humphreys said...

Hi Mandy! I found your blog through Karlee's - - I've been meaning to ask her for your email address to see if you would be interested in helping me upholster a wicker storage ottoman that I can't stand to look at much longer the way that it is :) Do you do that kind of thing???? Let me know what you think! thanks!
Heather Humphreys
onefamouspotato@gmail.com

Heidi Ann said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Heidi Ann said...

His name is SO cute, he'll be so handsome! How'd your appointment go? I'm reminded of a conversation you and I had walking one evening about our future babies.