What started out as a lovely day for canning, ended in tragedy. We spent the first 7 hours of the day working on our Cherry Pie Filling. It was fairly uneventful, other than only getting 12 quarts out of $28 worth of cherries and ALL THAT TIME! Jamie (my canning buddy) and I were very happy to move on to the apricots. That's where it all went wrong. I made an entire stock-pot of jam and got distracted cleaning up. That led to a boil over, which sent sticky stuff EVERYWHERE. The situation could have been handled, but for the sticky jam running down the front of my oven, BEHIND the front glass. I told Brandon we have a MAJOR problem. He came inside to check it out and decided it would be an easy fix. He unscrewed the glass from the door and before we knew it, it slid down, the weight of the glass no longer keeping the hinges for snapping shut, and the glass shattered. Luckily there was a towel there (to catch any leftover stickiness) and it caught most of the glass. What a mess! An expensive mess!
2 boxes of cherries: $28
1 box of apricots: $17
Too many boxes of pectin to count: $35
25 jars of apricot jam, 6 quarts of cherry pie filling: $285 (not priceless)
4 comments:
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!
Oh man, you got the final bill, ouch! I'm waiting for the jam to set, but I did make a cherry cobbler that was divine (I don't know if it was $285 good, but it was good :) Thanks for always being my canning buddy, next time we'll do it at my house!
Wow! You would be TOTALLY justified if you said some bad words!
So not funny now...maybe later. I'm glad to have read this....my oven door has a drip behind the glass that has always bothered me and so many times I've thought I should just open it up to clean it....now I know to watch out. So sorry you had to learn the hard way. That had better be some good jam.
Post a Comment