Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Kind of Camping

OK, I'll admit, my kind of camping doesn't involve camping at all. I prefer a luxury five star hotel in some exotic foreign country that provides me with anything that I might need just a phone call away. That being said, if I have to go to the forests and such, this is the way I want to do it.
Heath and Michelle graciously invited our little family to Michelle's family cabin in Greer, AZ this last week. It's the same place we went for our Girls Retreat a couple weeks back and I knew my boys (Brandon included) would have a great time playing in the dirt and going exploring. While they play in the dirt I get to sit in a gorgeous cabin with plenty of food and space and hot running water. Perfect!

The kids and I arrived Thursday afternoon and right away Michelle's dad started talking about taking all the boys to look for elk. I was more than happy to let them go, and I sent the camera with Daxton. This is the most impressive thing they found... they're sheepies. No elk, but a whole herd of sheep. They were plenty satisfied with this, but I think Michelle's dad was somewhat disappointed.

All the boys planned out that they'd bring their soccer uniforms up (when the season is over they become pajamas at our house). This was them the first night. Harrison doesn't play yet.The first morning we were there, Michelle's mom, aka "Grandma" to the kids, decided to take us to feed the fishes at a local resort. It was gorgeous, which was good, since the bread was gone after about 30 seconds. Tabitha scarfed the piece Michelle gave her to feed the ducks. She was not shy or scared around the ducks. She LOVES being outside and ran wild the whole time we were there. So many cute pictures... they just had to be posted.


Some handsome boys too...

They boys spent the afternoon in back of the cabin working on their fort. When they were finished with it, they decided that it would be a restaurant. They had pots and pans and everything. When I asked what they were going to call their restaurant Daxton came up with "Best Foods Restaurant". Here they are at it's entrance:
Brandon and Heath arrived that night and the kids immediately started asking for a hike. Brandon obliged and this is them before they went exploring:


In the morning they strapped the fishing boat to the Ranger and headed off for some fishing. I stayed back and read a book. Tabitha took a nap. Everyone is happy.


They say they caught about 10 fish, but threw most of them back. I think they brought 4 back that needed to be cleaned. The dads offered the boys candy if they'd touch the guts. Grady refused, so I told him I'd buy him candy because he is smart (and had clean hands).


We went to the river later on. The water was FREEZING, but boys will be boys and they couldn't resist putting they're feet in. Michelle had a family tradition growing up that if they put they're whole head in the water they'd get a trip to Dairy Queen. We offered more candy and it took only moments for Austin and Daxton to dive in. Grady took a little more convincing, but in the end, he got wet too.
This is Michelle carrying Heath back to the car so his feet didn't get dirty. It was pretty dang funny.
On Saturday, Brandon helped the boys put an addition on their restaurant. It turned out really nice. It was supposed to be the seating area.Sunday after church we went on a hike. It was so beautiful!

This is Heath teaching the boys about barbed wire.

The guys left that night to be back for work on Monday. Things were really relaxed after that, and the kids and I drove back the following day. We had a great time. Lots of memories and lots of fun. Thanks to the Andersons!

No comments: