I have spent the past 2.5 years as the Secretary in the Primary Presidency. What joy there was when I got this calling. Who doesn't want an excuse to hang out in the halls for 2.5 hours of church (I had to leave sacrament early to get all the signs up and rolls out). I was thrilled to have this calling. Six months later, they split the ward. A new Presidency was called. But YES, I got called as Secretary again. I had just gotten the hang of it, so all was well. I was comfortable and happy and just cruising along. I got to chat with my friends when I saw them in the hallway and most of the work I had to do was during the week. Just logistics and paperwork. As the weeks go by we get new families with children. Some weeks it's one family. Some weeks it's six. The job starts to get very overwhelming. It's difficult to get everyone on the correct lists and make them feel welcome. I'll admit, that at this time, I probably only know 60% of the names with the faces of those sweet kids. How horrible is that!? Until the re-alignment last week, we had 300 kids in our primary. It's staggering to me to even say that.
The time in the hallway quickly went from social time to "how do I tell this person that I don't have time to chat because someone is waiting for me?" After 1.5 years of being in the hallway, I realized that my spirituality had suffered significantly. I never left church feeling uplifted and ready for a new week. I always left feeling like I had a lot of work to do to get ready for next Sunday. How I longed to be one of those women who comes out of Relief Society with a kleenex in her hand and red, puffy eyes.
This calling has shifted my perspective. Instead of dreading Gospel Doctrine or Relief Society I miss them. I realize now that a little bit of the spirit goes a long way in keeping one calm and collected and organized (physically and mentally).
I feel a huge weight lifted off my shoulders now that I've been released, but I treasure the things that I learned about myself. Relief Society, HERE I COME! (I hope.)
2 comments:
I know! I miss it too! I'm so happy that you are getting a break.
All I can say is Amen. I'm the Primary Secretary right now, and I feel like it's a lot of busy work. I do love being in Primary though....as a convert I missed out on all of the songs and simple lessons. But boy, do I miss RS!!! We have 150 kids, and I feel like we are maxed out!
Enjoy your classes!
Post a Comment