Wednesday, February 11, 2009

The Change

Ick! I've been needing to blog about this forever, but I've been avoiding it like a plague because it's a scary, emotional, exciting, nerve-racking, and CRAZY change in our lives.

Round 'bout October-ish Brandon got a fateful phone call from our friend Dave. Dave and his wife Heather lived across the street from us in our old neighborhood and they are some good peoples. We survived a lot together and our friendship has stayed strong through Sunday dinners and other random soirees. So, Dave gives Brandon a buzz and asks if he can meet with him about "that thing we've been talking about doing". That "THING" is Brandon coming to work for Dave and his newly acquired plumbing company. Brandon agrees to the meeting and we spend the week talking about everything that could possibly go down and if we'd really even consider making a change in this SCARY, CRAZY economy.

The meeting happens. I'm panicky. I'm thinking-- must pay bills... must pay mortgage... must feed children... why change security... KEEP YOUR JOB! But, I'm the totally supportive wifey, so I just say, "I'll support you in whatever you decide, honey". After the meeting I realize that Brandon is seriously considering taking the offer he is given. It's a good offer, but the downside is the job wouldn't start until APRIL. Yes people, I said April-- 6 months away. Now how the heck is this supposed to work? He just keeps working for ER even though he knows he's not staying? I wasn't sure about that part. I'm excited for his new opportunity, but VERY worried. I can't help it... I worry about everything (thanks mom!).

We headed up to Utah for a little R&R (and I mean a very little). Brandon decides he's going to wait until after General Conference to make his final decision about changing jobs and uprooting all of our security and CALM, but he's feeling really good about the offer. He does his fasting and praying thing. I do my praying thing... leave the fasting to the pro. I just felt like I need to follow his lead, so I just kept telling him, "I'll support you in whatever you decide, honey".

After 8 years working with his best friend at a company that he loves, doing a job that he loves, he decided to throw caution to the wind and take the job. Smile plastered on face, teeth clenched, and a "I'll support you in whatever you decide, honey".

Brandon had a VERY difficult (sadness and surprise, not anger) meeting with Heath (friend, boss, friend), pretty much the moment he got back into town. He's not the type to hide things or be conniving, so it was just a time to tell what his plans were. Heath accepted Brandon's resignation with grace and told Brandon he was welcome to continue working at ER for as long as he needed. How grateful we are that we were able to keep our friends and our income.

Miracles happened and each time we talked to Dave he moved up Brandon's starting date. He officially became an employee (and future co-owner) of Valleywide Plumbing on January 1st. I'm able to write about it now because so far it's going great. The company is established. It's been around for 10 years, so that helps me feel a lot better. Brandon is working hard to introduce VW to the contacts he has relationships with from ER.

I feel very blessed that ER put so much into Brandon. They treated him well. They gave him the space and opportunities to learn and grow. They trusted him. Now it's time for him to spread his wings and see if he can make it on his own. I know he can. I support him.

4 comments:

foreveryoung said...

I'm so glad things are going so well. It is a scary time to "change", but come on, this is Brandon we're talking about. If I were to trust anyone when they say they've fasted and prayed and felt good about a decision then it would be him (sorry Jay). Good luck!

Pam Jorgensen said...

Wow...this is a scary time for a change like that! So glad it's going well.

Nichols Family said...

Brandon will do great! Good luck!
Just don't ever move. :)

Chelsea said...

I'm sure it will work out great. Congrats!