
Daxton had the privilege of being star of the week last week. We were very excited when we found out. Then, we forgot. Monday morning came and I'm rushing Daxton out the door, and I realize we forgot to get his poster ready. He did a great job of not having a meltdown. I told him we'd do it that night. But, about 1 hour later I got a call from the nurse saying Daxton has a fever of 102 and he has to come home. I'm trying not to feel like a horrible mother because I sent my kid to school with a fever, and didn't even know it.
He came home and this is what our Star of the Week looked like for the next 7 hours:

He fell asleep watching an Avatar movie in my bed, and somehow ended up on my floor. I felt so bad for him. That night we got his poster started before dinner. When we sat down to dinner I noticed that his eyes were looking a little red and puffy. As time went on they got worse. Daxton has never been officially diagnosed with Asthma, but I think he has a mild case of it. He started telling us he was having a hard time breathing. Then he was getting so upset he said, "I think I'm going to die." We jumped into action and gave him some Claritin for an allergic reaction, and some Albuterol to help him breathe. We told him to calm down and we'd see if the reaction would calm down. When we explained to him that we might have to take him to the hospital he had a lot of questions about if they were going to give him shots and would it hurt, and so forth. The reaction calmed, and so did he. We called a friend (Thank You Friend) to help Brandon give him a Priesthood blessing. We put him to bed with lots of apprehension, fearing he would stop breathing in the night. We checked on him several times. His eyes were still red and puffy, and his breathing slightly labored, but he seemed alright. The poor guy had to miss school the next day as well. Now he was turning into "Star for a couple days". He handled it like a champ though.
On Wednesday I felt he was well enough to go to school, so with his poster in hand I sent him off. He said the lunch lady made him go to the nurse, but she took his temperature and said he was fine. Phew....
Finally, he got to do such fun things as eat lunch with Mr. Walters, the principal, and have nice notes written about him by his class. The week was a great success, after Tuesday that is.
His poster said, I heart: Drawing, Reading, Soccer, Avatar, Swimming, My Family, My Room, and My Puppets.
2 comments:
Oh man! Poor little guy! So glad he's better. Tyler told me he was sick last week and I thought he was full of it. I even took his temp and it was normal. But, sure enough I got a call at noon and his temp was 103! I felt soooo bad. If you ever need a breathing machine we have one you can borrow. We've never had to use it and it's brand new basically.
Oh, I'm sorry about the asthma. We feel that pain. Let me tell you a Maggie story. In 2nd or 3rd grade, she was convinced because of her cousin that she needed glasses. I kept saying, "No, you don't. You can see fine." In my "I'll show you" moment, I took her in to the eye doctor just to prove that she DIDN'T need glasses, only to be told that she had horrible vision and had probably needed glasses for a while. Imagine me slinking my way back to the car. Remember, he didn't TELL you he didn't feel well, so it's not like you totally brushed him off. And I'm even more shocked by the fact that you have a school nurse!
Post a Comment