Monday, September 22, 2008

Eight Years



On this day eight years ago I woke up with a spring in my step despite the early hour. Two of my dearest friends helped get me out the door of my "new-to-me" townhouse, and into the arms of my fiance. We had a very important appointment at 10 that morning, but much had to be done before then. There was hair to do, and pictures to be taken. But when all of that busy-ness was over, I met Brandon in a sealing room at the Mesa, Arizona temple. Before many of those who care about us, we were sealed for eternity. That was the beginning of The Brandon Rohner Family. The Brandon Rohner Family that will exist for eternity because of that moment.




More busy-ness ensued and more pictures. Finally, as husband and wife, we were ready to go to Brandon's parent's house for our wedding luncheon. But wait... where is our car? In all the bustle to get everyone else to the lunch, but no one rushing us, we were forgotten. We didn't have a car to get to the lunch. We called someone and were picked up soon thereafter.
The lunch was the famous "Rohner Ham" and some other things that I've forgotten over the years. What stands out to me most is that my college friends were there and that my dad almost burst from trying not to cry uncontrollably during his "toast". My dad had a VERY hard time not breaking down completely when he spoke in public about things that are important to him. I didn't realize until right now, as I type this, how difficult it must have been for him to get up there and talk about his married daughter... his first child to be sealed in the temple. He said something about getting his credit cards back. That was his way... make a joke, so you don't choke up.
I remember that Brandon and I decided to sneak out of the lunch because we knew that if we told anyone we were leaving (especially Matthew Copple) that we would be followed and tormented. We told Brandon's mom, and my parents that we were leaving. Brandon's mom gave us a "Honeymoon Cooler" which might have been the best gift we got. It had snacks and a candle with matches. It allowed us to not have to worry about dinner that night.
We drove to The Pointe South Mountain, where we spent the rest of the day and night. The memories of what happened there are for Brandon and I only :).
The next morning consisted of a huge breakfast at IHOP, and a drive to our new home where we found my family getting it all set up for us. Then we started getting ready for the big event that evening... our wedding reception. Again, there was more hair to be done and more pictures to be taken. But, the day was so relaxed. The important part was over. Maybe I just had my head in the clouds and it was a busy day for everyone else. I know I wasn't thrilled about our cake, but I don't remember it bothering me that much. The reception sight, Stonebridge Manor, was beautiful and I was Brandon's wife. My family was there to celebrate with me. My dad gave my mom a beautiful necklace with a huge chunk of polished opal to celebrate having their first child married. I wished my friends could have stayed for the reception, but they had to get back to their lives in Idaho and Utah. My dearest sister in the whole world acted as my wedding coordinator and everything went off without a hitch... at least that I knew of.



There was lots of food and dancing, with crepes for dessert. We cut the cake (for tradition only), threw the bouquet, and changed our clothes. Brandon's friends (and their wives... yes I remember you helped, Michelle and Kim) destroyed my beautiful black Honda Civic with soap and toilet paper. I wasn't happy about that. But off we drove... to our Honeymoon in Sedona.
We stayed at the Graham Inn, a bed and breakfast that I would LOVE to return to someday.
These are my treasured memories of my wedding day(s).



I truly found the most perfect man in the world for me. Brandon is PATIENT (that one has to go first because he has a LOT of it), loving, and so kind and so giving. He is amazing in his willingness to change and listen and adapt. He is my most favorite person in the world, and I can't imagine my world without him. There is no better feeling in this world than that of finding your best friend and loving them so completely. For this feeling, I will go through the torment of possibly losing him someday. Being with my honey and raising our beautiful (if crazy) kids together is the only place I ever want to be.

9 comments:

Kim Griesemer said...

What exquisite memories, Mandy. Thank you for sharing them with us. And happy anniversary!

Love,
Mom

Jessie said...

Happy anniversary! It sounds like a great celebration was had by all! How fun that you got to have 2 different parties and hair do's!

foreveryoung said...

Awww, eight years and going strong! Thanks for letting me share in your special day, I'm sure I made it memorable for you, ha! ha! (Did your lids pop? Mine didn't, bummer). You guys make one cute couple, happy anniversary!

MommyRohner said...

Thanks for the well wishes.

Jamie... My lids didn't pop. Oh well, 4 out of 30 something isn't bad.

Trish said...

Congratulations!!

Hey, what's this about the lids? Did they not seal over night? You can reprocess them. 1. remove lid. 2. wash lid, ring, and top of jar. 3. re-simmer seals. 4. replace tightly and immediately place in boiling water. Re-process as before. 5. Gently remove from water when done to a towel-lined countertop. Let set there overnight without moving or tipping. 6. If lids are not set in the morning, then you have a lot of goods to refrigerate and use in the next few weeks. :)

Kristin said...

Oh What a happy day. I liked hearing about all those memories. I need to do that sometime...For my own record. Happy Anniversary.

Shanen said...

What a great day, congratulations. Your new pantry looks amazing. What a fun add on to your house. There is so much room in there.

Niederfam said...

it sounds like a beautiful picture perfect day, what a MEMORY!!!!

Unknown said...

Happy Anniversary!! I am so glad that I was able to come for your wedding. I really am glad to be your friend after all these years and the time you stole my library card! I just wish we saw more of each other! Thanks for all the fun Mandy, congrats on your amazing family!