Monday, May 05, 2008

Tabitha's Blessing


OK, this post is a little overdue, but life has been VERY busy recently and I haven't had time to do the post that I wanted to do.

My little Tabitha Kaye was given her name and blessing on April 20, 2008. She was beautiful and perfect and it was a very special weekend/day for our family. It was also a full-circle/closure event for me.

Let me start with the events leading up to her blessing. It may not seem connected, but it sets up how I was feeling on that day, so read on. Some of you will recall that Grady's blessing in August of 2004 was the last time I saw my dad. My whole family came down from Utah to visit for the blessing and my dad joined in the circle. We have some video of the brunch after the blessing, but I don't need it because that day is burned into my head and won't be going anywhere. It was a wonderful day filled with family and food. I vividly recall that my dad spoke at length with our friend Heath and told many of his famous "stories" that the rest of us have heard several times. It was just a really great day. We took them to the airport that evening so everyone could be back to work on Monday. My dad left for India about a week later. I remember calling him as he was waiting in the airport to leave. He traveled A LOT, so it wasn't uncommon for me to call him when he was leaving the country, or even in another country, and I didn't even know he was gone. This was one of those times... just a coincidence (or maybe not) call that I made because I probably had some lame question. He told me he was just getting on a plane for India and I told him I'd talk to him when he got back. I didn't ever get to. He was killed in a car accident in Pondicherry, India.

The day of Grady's blessing


So, the days leading up to Tabitha's blessing were extremely emotional for me. Knowing my two brothers and my sister would be here was wonderful, but knowing my mom and dad would both be absent made it really hard. My family feels really small these days. I cried a lot those nights before the blessing. I just couldn't stop focusing on the fact that my dad wasn't going to be there for this one. Plus, just having all those memories come back from Grady's blessing was causing me grief.

Once my family arrived on Friday we were busy having fun and I was able to let some of my emotions go. Sunday came and we were at church a little early to save seats. Once the blessing began I thought of how my dad wasn't up there with Brandon. The tears started to flow, but then an amazing thing happened. I just listened. I listened to the blessing that Brandon was giving our beautiful girl.
Tabitha Kaye Rohner... you are blessed to be in a family who loves you tremendously. You have two big brothers to assist you and to love you. Heavenly Father will always be there for you. He loves you. I bless you with a closeness to the spirit... you will come to know your Lord, Jesus Christ... You have been very generous with your smiles. May you continue to be generous with your smiles as they will bring joy to those around you. Bless you to be an example to your friends. You have been born at this time in the world for a reason... Be strong... have no fear... you are loved...

I stopped dwelling on the fact that my dad wasn't there. Or rather, he wasn't there physically. It wasn't until the brunch afterward that I thought about my dad again. I was a little surprised about that fact, but then realized that is how it should be. It was Tabitha's day and I needed to focus on her and what a wonderful spirit she's brought into our home, not on whoever is missing.

It was another wonderful day filled with family and food. My mom was missed so much. It feels really different not to have the glue that keeps the family together there with us. We did OK on this first big event without her, but there was definitely a hole. Dad was missed as well, but he always is.

I am just grateful to those who came to show us their love and support. I am grateful that my family is an eternal family.






Thank you to Uncle Steve for the amazing pictures.

7 comments:

Nancy said...

WOW Mandy- What an amazing growth that has taken place. You are so amazing to me and how you are always close to the spirit so that you can comtinue to grow. I bet it was an emotional week for you , but seeing Tabitha with that huge smile makes me think that she had your dad there with her the whold time.

Niederfam said...

What a heartfelt post, with DARLING pictures. My favorite is the one of Tabitha smiling at the camera and you looking at her smiling. TOO CUTE. And OF COURSE your dad was there with you that day, as always!!!!

foreveryoung said...

Check out that smile, what beautiful pictures! She did a great job filling the roll of princess for her special day.

Shanen said...

You have some wonderful pictures of her blessing day. What a special day for your family.

Michelle Y. said...

Thank you so much for sharing that experience. I cannot imagine how emotional that must have been for you. As you know, my mom is really sick with cancer so I always appreciate hearing the stories about your dad and the comfort you receive on the other side of the veil.

Rob and Jenn said...

I don't even know what to say. You really are a strong woman. We all miss your dad, but he isn't far. Love you. I can't wait to hold your little girl.

Unknown said...

Mandy, along with Jenny, I don't know what to say. I love how you have documented and shared your feelings about such a special day and your special relationship with your dad. He is someone who will never be forgotten. Who knows how many times he asked me when my boobs were going to grow in. :) Classic memories! You are an awesome mom and have the most adorable family! Congrats!