Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Ten Commandments

Have you taught your kids about the ten commandments yet?

When we put the boys to bed each night we read out of the illustrated scripture stories... we call it "reading scripture power". We are currently reading about Moses and the exodus, so naturally, the ten commandments comes up. I was explaining why Heavenly Father gave us the commandments, and then proceeded to tell what they are. Try explaining them to a 5 and 3 year old... it requires breaking them down into the simplest concepts. Here's the basic idea of how it went:
Me: Thou shalt have no other gods before me.
Daxton: What does that mean mama?
Me: Hmm... it means that we only worship Heavenly Father.
Daxton: What does worship mean?
Me: You know when we go to church and we sing songs and learn about Heavenly Father? That is how we worship him.

Me: Thou shalt not take the name of the Lord thy God in vain.
Daxton: What does that mean mama?
Me: It means that we don't say the word God unless we are talking about God.
Daxton: I don't understand what that means.
Me: Do any of your friends ever say, "Oh my God"?
Daxton: No.
Me: OK, well you should just never say the word God, unless you're talking about your Heavenly Father.
Daxton: Sometimes when I'm at school I say, "You're not the boss of me, Jesus is." (Me thinking: Oh brother) Is that what you mean?
Me: Well, not exactly, but you probably shouldn't say that. You could just say "You're not the boss of me", but that's not very nice either.
Daxton: Alright.

Me: Thou shalt not commit adultery. (Here we go... I know what's coming)
Daxton: What is that? (and there it is)
Me: Hmmm... Well you know how mommy and daddy are married? We made a commitment to each other to only be with each other, and not anyone else.
Daxton: I don't get it.
Me: Daddy and Mommy only kiss each other. If we kissed someone else it would be adultery.
Daxton: You kiss me.
Me: OK, we can kiss each other and anyone in our family.
Daxton: How about Nana?
Me: Yes, she's in our family.... that would be fine.
Daxton: And Tabitha?
Me: Yes, she's in our family too.


Oh, I was sweating! This was one of the more complicated conversations I've had with Daxton and I was so nervous I was going to say the wrong thing or give him an example that would backfire on me and he'd talk about for years.
I think it went ok, but that remains to be seen. He has the most amazing memory and I'm sure that a year from now he'll remember something I said and ask me about it as though he's been pondering it all that time.
If anyone has had this conversation with your kids I'd love to know how exactly you explain adultery to a child.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE this!! Out of the mouth of babes...

I guess I have something to look forward too...not!

foreveryoung said...

Oh man, I was getting nervous for you just reading this! You had great explanations and I'm glad you wrote them down so that I can copy them when the question comes up in our house!

Kristin said...

You did great! I am going to take your lead when I have to go there... You made me laugh though, I was sweating for you!

Chelsea said...

Hilarious! Seriously it is so hard explaining some of this stuff to kids, I agree with the others! you did a great job! I loved what you said about "the boss of me" SO funny. I have no clue how to explain adultry, yikes! especially with the charming, flirty Daxton! He's gonna think he's always breaking a commandment! I did tell you about the time I was watching Oprah & he came & snuggled up to me & was getting under my blanket, I thought it was Brayden!! He cracks me up.

Rob and Jenn said...

Thanks for sharing your story...you have more wisdom than you know! Maybe I'll just call you when my kids ask me the tough questions. I'll say, "I don't know, lets go call Auntie Mandy!"

Jenny Shumway said...

I think you explained it great - give them information in terms they can understand for now. Thanks so much for the card & gift. I was so sad I wasn't home when you dropped it off. I can't wait to see baby Tabitha but Alli has had a cough and I don't want her sharing so I'll come visit when she's better.

Alisa Larson said...

I think you handled it great! I probably would've said, "Okay let's go get a princess book!"