Friday, July 27, 2007

Milestone



Monday was an important day in Daxton's life, but also in mine and Brandon's. We sent our first child off to Kindergarten. Putting him on the bus Monday morning wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. He was excited, and in all honesty I was a little excited to have a somewhat quiet house. I was worried that the 7 hour day would be a bit much for my little guy, but he took it like a man. He said he didn't fall asleep during quiet time.
When Daxton got home and told me that when he got off the bus in the morning he didn't know how to get to his class. I had not forseen this problem, so we hadn't talked about it. But, he said he found someone and asked how to get to Mrs. Smoot's class and they helped him. I was SO PROUD! He really is growing up. He didn't sit on the curb and cry. He didn't wander around the school. HE ASKED FOR HELP! I got teary eyed when he told me.
I had also forgotten to talk to him about which bus stop to get off at when he came home, but he figured that out too. I don't know if he was waiting to get off until he saw me, or if he just recognized the stop, but he did it exactly right.
My mom asked Daxton what he learned in school that he didn't know before he went. He said he learned how to follow directions. We all gave a cheer at that. Not that I've noticed too much of a difference at home, but I guess the most important thing is that he isn't giving his teachers a hard time.
So, he's almost finished with his first full week of school. He hugged me last night and said, "Mom, I'm so glad I'm in school." It made me happy to see him happy. I think he likes feeling like a big boy.

We had a special family home evening on monday night where we talked to Daxton (mostly) about making good choices at school and being friends with good kids who also make good choices. Brandon gave him a very sweet priesthood blessing. I feel like it will be a good year for Daxton. Grady also got a blessing- I truly wish I had a picture of his face after he climbed up into the chair and folded his little arms and closed his little eyes. He just had such an expression of happiness and peace. There was a little closed lipped smile on his face that will be burned into my mind forever. How grateful I am for my awesome husband and my beautiful boys.

3 comments:

foreveryoung said...

What a big boy, you definately have every right to be proud! I'm glad he enjoys it so much (that makes it much easier for the moms, trust me :) We just need to get our two little ones together now!

Chelsea said...

Aww. Very sweet. Daxton is such a sweet boy, I am glad he is adjusting so well with the all day school. How sad about not knowing where to go, or which stop to get off on, and he handled it perfectly! it seems like there should be a chapperone to help the lil ones on their first day!

Michael and Brinn said...

Mandy- I get teary eyed when I read this, because it hits close at home with my girls. Our babies are getting big. YOu have a beautiful family and you do have an awesome husband. I'm proud of you guys!