Saturday, June 30, 2007

VIOLATED!!

I'm one of those people who didn't think it would ever happen to me. My debit card number was STOLEN! We are so so lucky that I caught it quick, but I truly feel so violated. I checked my bank account on a whim (sad to say I don't check it very often) yesterday and noticed three charges for 19.99 each to blizzard entertainment. I'd never heard of them, so I called and found out they have something to do with World of Warcraft. No one in our family plays WOW. They had no record of my name in their database anywhere, so the next step was to call the bank. WELLS FARGO! Take note, because if you bank with them you'll want to check your account too. They filled out a dispute claim and checked three pending charges on my account- two for 89.99 to a place called McSoft, and one for $39.99, also McSoft. We've never heard of that place either. AHHH! So, my card got cancelled and I am leaving for vacation TOMORROW! I planned on using my faithful friend (my debit card) a whole lot on this trip.
OK, so yes I am VERY grateful I caught this before it drained my account while I was on vacation. It could have been so much worse, but HELLO! Now, for the worst part...
My mom called me this morning and told me my sister's account had the same charges for blizzard entertainment!! It was WELLS FARGO that was hacked into. It has to be. Jessie and I live in different states and don't shop at the same places. It's too much of a coincidence.
So, check your account TODAY if you bank there.
When my mom was trying to make me feel better she said, "It used to be that when someone wanted to steal from you they'd come into your house and go through your things. I still think that would be worse." I agree, but it doesn't feel great this way either.

No comments: