Dayton (wearing tan) won "best dancer". He was not inhibited AT ALL!
Justin, Britney, Erin, Dayton, and Tawsi. Dayton is trying to teach the rest of us how to dance.
Kayson won best costume for the night. He isn't holding his basketball, but he looked the part of a 70's basketball player (without the short shorts). He got the prize for thinking outside the box.
A view of part of the party. We didn't really need the fire pit because the weather was perfect, but it added a cool effect, and more ambiance. To the right is where the tables were set up. We painted black paper with facts from 1976, in blacklight paint, and had the best fiber-optic centerpieces. Everyone took some time to play with the centerpieces, and commented on how fun they were. I tried to get a picture, but they didn't come out because of the lighting.
The big sign, painted in blacklight paint.
Brandon in his makeshift 70's costume. You can't tell he's wearing an afro wig. I went for the 70's prom queen look, but couldn't resist the gold disco shoes.
Heath and Michelle. Brandon and I.
The surprised face.
Justin (Brandon's Brother), and his wife Britney. Door to door salesman meets bohemian flower child.
The crowd, right after the arrival. Brandon and Heath in the foreground.
SURPRISE! We pulled it off. As many of you know, my friend Michelle and I have been planning a joint surpise birthday party for Brandon and Heath, her husband. The party had a 1976 theme and it was ROCKIN'. We turned the sport court into a "disco" floor and lit the tables with blacklights. The glow necklaces and bracelets were a huge hit with everyone, and the bowl of mood rings was empty quick. I put out the bowl of pop rocks and when I came back to get a package they were GONE! We had over a hundred people who came to wish them a "happy birthday."
We sent the boys golfing for the afternoon with a friend's husband who was in on the secret, of course. They thought they were coming back to Heath and Michelle's house for a big dinner that we spent the afternoon cooking. When they arrived, in the wrong door, there were a whole lot of afro wigs and paisley shirts to greet them.
They were both really surprised. The first thing I heard Brandon say was, "WOW". He and Heath greeted all their guest while the guests waited in the food line. The menu included cheese fondue, meatballs, sandwiches, chicken tenders, chocolate dipped strawberries, pretzels, etc. We were lucky enough to have a caterer who is in the same trade group as ER Experts (the company Heath owns and Brandon works for), so we didn't have to do any of the food. There was a DJ who played an awesome assortment of 70's tunes, mixed with a little 80's, and some stuff that is popular now. I could've gone without hearing the "junk in your trunk" song, though.
After the boys blew out the candles on the cake, we all hit the dance floor. It was so much fun. The Rohners stole the show for sure. Dayton, another brother of Brandon's, won one of the "best dancer" gift certificates. Brandon's dad showed off some great moves of his own, and at one point he and Brandon's mom were running through the grass like they were high on love and running through a field of flowers. It was hysterical.
It was a lot of fun, and Michelle and I really felt like we got to show our guys how much we love and appreciate them. I've got to say, though, that I am so glad it's over. It's hard to keep a secret from your spouse. Now I can focus on my next project- starting my own business. More on that later...
No comments:
Post a Comment