Saturday, August 17, 2013

The Decision to Homeschool

Daxton must have asked me 50 times last year to homeschool him.  I never gave it a thought.  NO WAY. I told him no many many times.  And then I watched this video that changed everything. It was filmed by the Today show and it was about a family with a bunch of kids who all went through college at a young age.  It wasn't the fact that the kids were advanced early and had successful careers already.  It was something their mom said. She said, "We just allowed them to choose something they love and study that one thing as much as they wanted." She went on to talk about how they all love what they do and they started learning their job at a young age. This is what I got out of it.  Daxton needs to be allowed to do more of what he loves, and less of what he isn't good at.  He's forced to do so much math and he is convinced he isn't good at it because they move faster than he is able to move. This was my AH-HA moment.
I ran my thoughts by Brandon to see what he thought about homeschooling the boys.  Grady isn't being challenged the way he should be, so we thought it might be advantageous for him too. Brandon was a little skeptical at first, but to his credit, he saw that I was serious and he was on board.  He has been so amazingly supportive and is willing to help with some of their school. He plans on helping them learn Spanish and we have grand plans to have morning devotionals, scripture mastery learning and other family time each morning. I am not an idealist.  I know this isn't going to be easy, but I really feel this will be so good for our family.  I don't know how long it will last, but I hope the boys know that I love them enough to give up my own time to teach them what they aren't learning in school.
My goal is to teach them how to be self motivated and to love learning.  I want them to know that if there is a subject they are interested in, they can stop what they are doing and go find out more about that.
Wish us luck! We are definitely going to need it.

No comments: