Thursday, August 22, 2013

Progress

The week is almost over. It's really been a good one.  Hard, but good.  Each day has been better than the one before it.  Grady is settling into his routine.  We changed some things up to help him not get so overwhelmed with all he has to do.  He is doing his reading the night before and I am stapling all the workbook pages he needs to do together, rather than handing him each book when he finishes the one before it.  It worked well today.  I warned both boys that next week we would be introducing other subjects.  They seemed excited to start Spanish.

I have to say that Daxton has really impressed me this week.  He has been AMAZING at getting his stuff done quickly and following my directions and doing what I ask him to do. I have been so proud of him.  Brandon and I decided this just confirms that homeschooling is right for him.  He seems to be thriving in this new routine. Today he finished pretty early and couldn't find anything to eat for lunch.  He asked if someone would take him to Del Taco so he could buy himself a burrito.  How could I say no to that?!!  Brandon took him and they had some bonding time and Daxton felt rewarded.

THIS is why I felt the drive to homeschool.  Come on... more time together, control over their education, and the ability to talk about Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and the Holy Spirit whenever we choose.  Plus, I can encourage with kind words, a hug, a gentle touch.  It is teaching me patience for sure, but I am already noticing a difference in how the kids are treating each other, and their willingness to help me out when I need it. I was most nervous about being together as an entire family 24/7.  Now, it's only been a week, but I think our time together is going to be a great thing instead of a terrible thing. I am one of those moms who truly did think the first day of school was the most wonderful time of the year.  I still kind of feel the same way, but I just feel in my heart that this is what is right for our family for the time being. It is hard to give up my "me time", but I haven't missed it as much as I thought I would.

2 comments:

foreveryoung said...

Oh man, I'm so glad you're documenting your homeschooling journey on here, I've been so curious about how it's going. I totally admire you for doing this, I try to put myself in your shoes and I just can't! But on a small scale I can relate to the family time. We have spent so much time together as a family since moving to New Zealand, we have fought more but also bonded more than ever. Those changes and challenges are what make us grow the most. Kudos to you, you are an amazing inspiration! And of course I loved your Disney cruise post, what amazing memories for your cute family! Good luck and keep posting!

Niederfam said...

AMAZING..........Impressive and Interested in all of it. Keep it coming......;)