Tuesday, May 03, 2011

A Day to Remember

You know sometimes you have those days where you really, really just wish the kids were taken care of and you could just stay in bed?  Today was one of those days.  Tabitha and Hyatt have not slept well the last couple of nights.  Tabitha definitely had an ear infection, which we've been treating.  Then last night Hyatt shows up with some sort of rash on his chest and back, and goop in his eye.  You all know what goop in the eye means... PINK EYE!  Grrr.  I immediately started drops, which we thankfully had on hand because they are the same ones we use for Daxton's ear drainage.  Well, I got the two of them settled in for the night in their cozy beds and went to sleep, hoping to get a full 8 hours before my root canal in the morning at 8:30am.  Not long after I fell asleep a horrible sounding Daxton came into my room panicked that he couldn't breathe.  He was crying and was starting to make me panic.  Of course, Brandon would be in Vancouver this week so I had to deal with this on my own.  I did some quick WebMD searching and found that he probably had croup.  I didn't really know what to do, since I'm pretty sure none of my kids have ever had it.  I knew I should plug in a humidifier, but since ours broke in the move I didn't have one to plug in.  I also knew I should put him in a steamy bathroom.  Instead, I opted for a little cough medicine and a breathing treatment on the nebulizer.  Daxton is one of those kids who feels better just for knowing SOMETHING is being done.  He calmed down and when the treatment was over he seemed much better.  He slept in my bed and didn't have another attack all night. 
My wonderful, kind, caring, concerned mother agreed to leave her house in the wee hours of the morning to come take care of my kids while I went to the endodontist.  I expected to be gone several hours and to feel pretty good when I got home.  Instead, I was gone only a short time and felt really crappy afterward.  So, there I was, numb and yet still in pain, a baby with pink eye, a toddler who is still complaining about her ears, a big boy who can barely breathe, and a husband out of town.  My mom gave me a gift.  She stayed for hours after I got home and took care of my kids so I could rest.  I actually took a NAP!  Now, this isn't uncommon for my mom to do wonderfully nice things for me, but today it was just what I wanted and needed.  I am FILLED with gratitude today.  I know she had other things she could have been doing, but she stayed with us and I LOVE her for it!  My mom is the best mom in the world.

1 comment:

foreveryoung said...

What would we do without moms?? You're just lucky to live closer to her now, she's one amazing lady and I know you would do the same for your kids too.