Monday, April 11, 2011

Grady's Wreck

A couple of weeks ago the family was headed to Daxton's Blue and Gold Banquet down at the church.  Our church is probably a half mile from our house, but it's down at the bottom of the hill.  Daxton wanted to ride his scooter, and Grady wanted to ride his bike.  The rest of us followed in the car.  They left before we were ready to go, but we caught up to them.  Daxton was practically already at the church, so we opted to follow Grady.  When we caught up to him he was just starting to head down the hill.  I knew the moment he started picking up speed that it wasn't going to end well.  I could tell that he was trying to use his pedal brakes to slow down, but every time he did, his bike would wobble a lot.  I felt his fear.  At some point there was going to be a right turn into the church parking lot.  When he got there, I was hoping he wouldn't turn and would just continue on the same road so he could slow down.  He turned.  When he turned, his bike flew one way, and he flew another way (almost right into a curb).  I don't think Brandon and I will ever forget our helplessness in that moment.  Watching him fly and smack into the ground was so scary.  The kicker: he wasn't wearing a helmet.  Bad parents.
Well, Brandon pulled up as closely and quickly as he could.  I jumped out and picked up a screaming Grady.  I expected busted teeth, nose, and face since we watched his face bounce off the ground.  Well, he was really, really lucky.  His side was scraped up pretty good, and he had a good scrape and goose egg on his forehead.  But no profuse bleeding.  I left the rest of the family at the banquet and took Grady home for some first aid.  He was really scared and upset.  I don't blame him.  It would have been scary knowing you're going to wreck and not being able to prevent it.  That night, he said his prayers and told his Heavenly Father thank you for keeping him from getting hurt worse, even though he wasn't wearing a helmet.
The next day, he ended up throwing up before school.  Of course, I was worried that he had a concussion or something.  I kept him home.  He threw up one more time, but seemed fine other than that.  I decided the two incidences were unrelated. 
Here's a picture that doesn't really do the goose egg justice, but you get the idea.  It could have been so much worse.

3 comments:

foreveryoung said...

So scary,I'm glad he's okay! I'm totally using this story whenever my kids complain about wearing a helmet!

Chelsea said...

my kids refuse to wear helmets. dang it. I gotta fix this. Poor Grady, I can't imagine watching it happen.

Chris said...

I am so glad he is ok. Love that he thanked Heavenly Father for keeping him safe. My kids never wear helmets either.