Friday, December 25, 2009

Temple Lights

I was DETERMINED to make it to see the Christmas lights at the Mesa Temple this year. I know we missed it last year, and may have missed it the year before that. We left early so we could possibly beat the crowds. We showed up just as the sun went down and managed to get great parking. We walked around for a bit and then went in the Visitors Center to see the "Nativities of the World" exhibit. They had some really neat ones, but my favorite was from Amish Country, PA. I may have to track one down next time I'm there.

Yeah, so this is the only picture we took while we were there, and I'm kind of wishing Hyatt and I were in it with my cute family. Oh well, that's what happens when you're the mom.

So the real story that stands out to me about this night is the tough lesson Daxton had to learn. We often tell the boys they can earn a treat if they behave when we go on a family outing. On this night, we told them we would get Hot Chocolate. For the most part they did really well. There was a time when we were by a fountain and I told Daxton not to put his hand in. It was cold and I didn't want him to complain about a freezing hand. I also didn't want Tabitha to think she could do it. So, I told him this and then he proceeded to ask me twice if he could just put in a finger and touch the water. I told him no again. Ever testing his limits, he does it anyway. Brandon watched him do it and then told him he lost his treat because he didn't obey. He started throwing a fit. I HATE taking fun things away from my kids. I do it all the time because I believe in consistency and because they have to learn that there are consequences to their actions. I really didn't want to have everyone drinking hot chocolate in front of him, so I gave him a choice. He could choose to lose his hot chocolate, or he could choose to go to bed early. In my opinion, this was an easy choice. Unfortunately, he proceeded to throw a bigger fit and then take his anger out on Grady. At that point Brandon told him the choice was gone and he was not getting hot chocolate. We were sticking to our guns. We went to Starbucks to get the yummy Peppermint Hot Chocolate, and Daxton didn't get any. When he calmed down I tried to explain to him how much it hurts us to take things away from him and how we want to give him blessings and treats. I tried to liken it to how our Heavenly Father wants to give us blessings too if we can be obedient, and how much he hates to keep those blessings away from us. I don't know if it sunk in, but I just keep thinking that ONE OF THESE TIMES he'll listen and we can start progressing past the blatant disobedience and testing of boundaries.
I shared my drink with Tabitha because she didn't get her own and then I forced her to share a couple of sips with Daxton. Does that make me horribly inconsistent or a good mom? It's SO HARD to be a parent!

2 comments:

Chelsea said...

Good mom. At least you are aware/really trying to follow through on your threats. Its a big pet peeve of mine when I hear/see empty threats! I try soo hard to pick a threat I know I can stick to for that exact reason. Its so hard to be 'mean' and follow through, but it does work. I've noticed a HUGE difference with these boys after consistent follow through. Now if I could just get Jeremy on board... ;)

Shanen said...

Oh Mandy, It is terrible. but I am so glad to read other people's stories. It is a good thing to be consistant and follow through. But I have a hard time doing it. Josh is much better than I am. I would have tried to let Kruz share his drink too, but Josh would have shot that idea down real quick. That would have been a "no go" at our house.