Wednesday, August 26, 2009

The Importance of Photos- Memories of Dad

My dad had the opportunity to be a Grandpa here on Earth for exactly 2 years and 3 months and 25 days. I have exactly 23 pictures of him with Daxton (his first Grandchild) and 7 of him with Grady (his second). Those tiny numbers include the pictures where it's just my dad's hand with a spoon, feeding Daxton. The fact of the matter is that I feel HORRIBLE that I don't have more pictures of my dad with my Daxton, or with me, for that matter. I just didn't know how important they would be, otherwise I would have taken SO many more!
I treasure every picture that has my dad in it, and I am giddy whenever one surfaces that I've never seen before. I feel pain when I think of a picture that I remember being taken, but can no longer find. One in particular was taken when my dad took me on a "daddy/daughter date" to Lagoon ( I mentioned this date in one of my previous posts). It was one of those deals where you put on the old fashioned clothes and they take it in Sepia tones. I can't tell you how much I want to find that picture. I just pray it turns up someday.
To those of you who've never lost anyone close to you, please, PLEASE take my advice and take lots of pictures while you can. Even pictures that seemed pretty meaningless at the time they were taken, like the one below, became absolutely priceless.

This picture was taken during Dad's last visit to Arizona, about 3 weeks before he passed away. This was the day we blessed Grady. It is one of the 7 pictures I have of my dad with my Grady, all of which were taken on the same day.

This is one of those pictures that made me giddy because I just got it this week. My Grandma sent it to my sister (on the left) and I (on dad's lap) with the note: Don't be sad. Embrace the memories.


This picture always makes me teary-eyed. My dad built this credenza for a trade show to show off the new equipment his company just purchased. It was a printer that could print on rigid materials, like wood. It was also taken shortly before his death. The credenza now sits in my mom's house here in Arizona and it's a family treasure. I love to see it right when I walk in the door to her house.


This is one of very few pictures I have that's just me and my dad. I love it. I am so blessed to have had a dad who only wanted what is best for me, and wasn't afraid to say no to me when he felt like something wasn't good. I love him and I miss him. Five years down, a lifetime to go.

3 comments:

Rob and Jenn said...

I miss him too. What a great man. I'll take your advice.

Heidi said...

I loved this post Mandy.

Alisa Larson said...

Some good advice that I really need to put into practice.