A few months back Grady was too sick to go to Babysitting group. So, we did what any responsible parent would do, and we took him with us on our date. It was fun and he felt so loved.
SO... last week it was Daxton's turn. We've been thinking about having "THE TALK" (Yes, I mean THE talk) with him for months, and what better time than on a special date. The whole week before the date I was thinking about what we would say to him. The night before I pulled out the special book that Brandon's parents got us for Christmas (How to talk to your kids about sex by the Eyres) and read up on some stuff. The book suggested we have a series of talks between ages 3 and 7 that kind of lead up to the BIG talk. They say to save the big talk until your kid is 8. So, my plan changed and I decided to talk to him about bodies and body parts and good touching and bad touching, etc. It's a good book and I highly recommend it.
Friday night comes and Daxton is SO excited for his 2 on 1 time. We went to Chilis for dinner and just spent the evening asking him about his friends and school and we tried to fit in the little talks that I had planned. I think most of it went right over his head, but I did my best.
The amazing thing about this date was how it brought out so much in Daxton. He LOVED the attention and he was so happy. He must have hugged us and told us he loved us 10 times each that night. He held our hands and he talked to us about things he doesn't normally.
After dinner we went over to Wal-Mart so he could pick out a $10 toy and ice cream. When he FINALLY decided on an airplane kite and chocolate crunch ice cream bars he could hardly contain his excitement. I think he said, "I can't wait to fly my kite" 25 times from the cash register to the car.
When we got home and put all the kids to bed I had a moment to reflect on this wonderful experience with my 6 year old son. I took a moment to see the evening through his eyes and it reminded me of the "daddy daughter dates" of my past.
My dad travelled A LOT when I was a kid. He owned an asbestos abatement company that would do jobs all over the country and he lived in those places for months at a time. When he came home, he often took the time (usually at my very persistent insistence) to take me on a date. It was just the two of us and he'd let me choose whatever I wanted to do.
I remember one time specifically when I requested we go to Lagoon for the day and have Arby's for lunch. I was shocked when he agreed. Lagoon was so expensive and far away and I couldn't believe he would be willing to do that with little old me. I felt so loved. I'll never forget that day. My dad and I ate MANY more lunches at Arby's together through the years. It was "our" place.
I've been reminded, by having this memory, of how important it is to have time set aside where we can give a child the positive focus and attention that everyone wants. I will spend more individual time with each of my kids as they get older. We all enjoy the time and we all feel great and loved when it's all over. It was definitely a time for open communication.
4 comments:
That is sweet Mandy, Scott takes the girls on daddy and daughter dates. They love it, making memories. I need to be better about one on ones with TOby. I still need to have the talk with Mikayla and TOby, I still need to buy that book. Ok, I think I just had a panic attack :-)
Panic attack here too. I should borrow the book, but maybe not for 6 more years ;) I couldn't agree more about the dates. It always amazes me how much more Brayden's personality shines when we are alone with him.
I've been meaning to ask you how "the talk" went, I'm glad it was such a positive experience (even if it went over his head :) Jason will take the kids on daddy dates, but I like the idea of having both of us go. Thanks for the idea!
Um, I'm about 8 years behind with Maggie and, 10 with Ian, not to mention Griffin and Ellie! My friend got mad at me when we told Griffin there was no Santa Claus and he shared that with his class. Can you imagine what would happen if we had "the talk?"
Post a Comment