On Monday, Daxton was given the task of finding a school library book that had been misplaced. I told him he didn't get dessert if he didn't find it, so he was really motivated. Unfortunately, he waited until 10 minutes before bedtime to start looking, which left little time for both looking, and dessert. He was moping around the house giving all kinds of excuses about how he'd looked everywhere and it was too hard and how I should be helping him.
I finally placed him in front of the bookshelf in the playroom and told him to look through all the books. When I left the room, he was sitting in front of the bookshelf looking like there was no way he was going to go through all those books. I went downstairs and a minute later I hear him say, "I found it!"
He came downstairs and with a genuine grin, he said, "Mom, do you know how I found my book? I said a prayer and Heavenly Father helped me find it." He was so proud... I was so proud.
When it was time to say his prayers that night I suggested that he might want to thank Heavenly Father for helping him. This is how his prayer started:
"Heavenly Father, thank you for helping me find my book. That was pretty great. You're the awesomest adult ever. It's too bad most people don't know about you."
When his prayer was done he told me that there's some kids at his school that don't go to church.
He's been picking up on ways that we are a little different from some people. He got invited to a birthday party that was on a Sunday and he knows our rule, but was really sad that he couldn't go because it was a "Game Truck" party, where they have a big truck full of video game consoles and tv's. I think he had been talking to some of his friends at school who were going to the party and the subject of church must have come up. He's slowly learning that there's a reason we do the things we do as members of our church, and a reason we don't do some things.
1 comment:
i love it mandy!! it is obvious that you are such a great mom if this is how he prays. classic!
Post a Comment