Thursday, April 17, 2008

A Goal Reached

Before I even became pregnant with Tabitha I envisioned myself as a runner. I've gone from runner to non-runner several times since I left high school, but I really WANT to be a runner... all the time (OK, maybe not when I'm 8 and 9 months pregnant). So, through my whole pregnancy I dreamt about the day when I wasn't a tub so I could go out and RUN. I even made Brandon get me a GPS running watch for Christmas so I had extra incentive to get out there. Finally, 4 weeks after giving birth I got off the couch and started. The first month is the hardest. You don't feel like you're making any progress and you feel like your heart might just bust through it's protective rib cage and explode. But I kept going. I have gone at least twice a week since the first week. The first goal: to run a 5K on April 12th. I did it... and I even enjoyed it. I beat my own personal time by 3 minutes. It's amazing what a little competition can do for me. I even got 2nd!!! place in my age group. I won't tell you how many people were there, or my time for that matter, but I finished and I didn't DIE! Now I've got my eye on my ultimate goal... a 1/2 marathon (yes, all 13.1 miles) sometime between November and January. You've heard me say it, now you've got to hold me to it. Enjoy some lovely pics of me finishing my race.


8 comments:

Unknown said...

I really am envious of your motivation. I too would like to be a runner. In HS I loved to run...it relaxed me. Now all I can think about is the sensation of the flab on my butt jiggling up and down with each step! Go Mandy!!

Niederfam said...

You GO girl, seriously it's AWESOME, and I'm right there with you, TRYING to be a "runner" and only 5 days into it, YEAH, still not there yet, but it's getting better. And I totally agree, it is GOOD to have accountability, so I'm holding you to your 1/2 marathon, and who knows, maybe one day we'll meet and run together......:) WAY TO GO!!!!

Alisa Larson said...

Way to go! I LOVE running. It's by far my favorite form of cardio, but my knees decided they don't like it so much anymore. I havn't been able to run for about 5 months now. And I hate walking, so I'm sticking to spinning and Turbo-Jam for now! Oh, and I LOVE those GPS running watches. They are too cool and definately motivate you to keep going.

Pam Jorgensen said...

You run Mandy! You run fast for all us tubby girls that can't...well, won't.

Congratulations! You make our Biggest Loser group look good!!

Rob and Jenn said...

I'm so proud of you. You always were the one who made me exercise. (Remember working out over my spring break at the ASU gym). I wish I could run again...maybe someday.

foreveryoung said...

Way to go, Mandy! That's so awesome. I knew you ran before you got pregnant and I didn't realize that not only did you pick it up again, but you also ran an awesome race! I'm totally with you on your "runner, not a runner, runner again" comment. I'm the same way and now I wish I would have ran a 5K back when I was in my "running" stage before I got pregnant. Now I have you to motivate me after I have this kid!

Trish said...

Wow! I've always wanted to be a runner, but I always cop-out because it hurts my joints (Oh, my rheumatism! I always thought that was just something old ladies said... It's NOT!). What keeps you motivated? Every time I try to get back on the running bandwagon, I fall off. I am just so proud of you for stickin' to it!!

Heidi Ann said...

YEAH! Good job! Isn't it kind of intoxicating? Some day, when I'm feeling motivated again, we should do a half marathon together!