So, 10 months ago (sigh) I started out buying fabric like a mad woman... it turns out that this is my favorite part of the process. There are so many amazing fabrics to choose from and this stage is where the idea for a quilt starts to come together.
Then came the cutting and piecing together of the quilt tops. This part was also fun.
Then my quilter, Jill, started getting stacks of quilts from me. She's the one that actually sews the back of the quilt to the front (with the batting in the middle of course). It is truly a form of art, and she didn't disappoint me. I've got some amazing quilts thanks to Jill.
Right now I am in the process of binding the quilts. This is my least favorite part. I am so ready to be done with each of the quilts that I'm having a hard time being patient enough to get it right the first time. So, even though this part is going slowly... at least it's going at all. After all, you can't have a quilt show without finished quilts.
Hopefully I will be taking pictures of all the quilts for my website sometime in the next 2 weeks. My web designer is waiting for the pictures before she actually puts the site up, so there's nothing to look at yet.
I am so anxious to get all this going, and also a little apprehensive. It's scary to start a business, even if you don't want to make bags of money from it. I can't help but think of my dad every time I sit down and actually think to myself, "I'm starting my own business." My dad is the most successful (in lots of ways) business owner I've ever known personally, and I guess I feel a little bit of pressure from that. I do know he's watching me with a smile as I embark on this journey. He's saying, "that's my Manda." My sister, who has been one of my biggest supporters through the whole thing, won't be able to make it to the open house. She was really sad (as am I), but told me she'd be here in spirit. She said, "my spirit will be standing there right next to dads." I get so emotional when I think about all the love and support I have. What a great opportunity to see that come out of the people I love. Thank You.
And watch for your invitation in the mail. Enjoy the picture preview of some quilts in various stages of being finished.
7 comments:
Mandy I had no idea how amazing these quilts are. My favorite is the last one by itself. You truely have a gift and I hope I am on your list to invite to your open house. I would love to come. I am sure you will be very successful-it is in your blood. You truely are blessed, and our family had such a good time with you guys on Sunday. We totally miss seeing your guys.
Are you kidding?? Those quilts are AMAZING and they all come from you. I am so impressed. I love you! I love the drive that you have, you will always be successful in whatever you do. I am so proud of you and very excited. One day, one of those quilts will be mine!
Ahh, there goes that support that makes me so emotional (is it pregnant hormones?). You guys are so great. Thank you.
Nancy, of course you're on the list, and Brinn... you would be on the list if you didn't live so far away and I thought that there was any way in the world you could come. Of course I'll post pictures though.
I wish I were still close enough to come to the big "party"!! I am amazed by the quilts and the talent you have to put them together!! I would love to get my hands on one!! Let me know when you come up to Utah....miss you!!
I had NO IDEA you had such talent!!! And I do know what I'm talking about, not becaue I am a auilter, but my mother and mother in law both are and help to keep me in the know of what to appreciate, and WOW............you've got it!!! I wish I lived closer, I would LOVE to come to the open house. GOOD LUCK!!!!
Those look so cool! Please send me an invite!
btw, my blog is http://themarxfamily.blogspot.com/
Yes, you are amazing!! I still don't know how you have the time, but you have definately managed to create some beautiful quilts! I am amazed not only with your talent, but also with your ambition to start a business. Good luck with everything and I can't wait to see the quilts in person at your open house!
Post a Comment