Monday, June 18, 2007

Letting Go.

Lunch at Burger King


Waiting in the pre-board line. A little nervous perhaps?


Before walking down the ramp.

After running back to me.

I have to admit that I'm not a very "attached" mom. My boys are really independent, and I don't usually have a hard time leaving them for a trip or for an evening out. I was not at all concerned about sending Daxton to all day kindergarten next month. Now, I'm not so sure.
After my mom flew home to SL a few weeks ago she called with an offer to fly Daxton up to see her. There was no way in the world that I was going to turn THAT down! A whole week with only my calm, laid-back child to deal with? I immediately started thinking of all the things I could get done, and I accepted her offer, all the while singing praises for Southwest Airlines. She booked the flight and I told Daxton the big news. He was apprehensive at first, but then he got really excited.
Because of his tendency to get sad when saying goodbye I spent the next week preparing him by talking through ever step of the process of getting on the plane. I made sure he knew that he would get on the plane and I would not. I think I mentioned that to him at least 25 times. I surely did not expect myself to get sad over the whole ordeal- I knew he could do it.
When the big day arrived Daxton and I dropped Grady off at Nana's house and arrived at the airport almost 2 hours early. We got his bags checked and his fancy necklace/id tag. We ate some lunch at Burger King, and finally made it to security. He is very modest, so he wasn't so sure about taking his shoes off. I showed him that everyone else took theirs off, and he reluctantly agreed.
We made our way to the gate and found the pre-board line. It turned out there were two other "unaccompanied minors" getting on the flight. They were a little older, but Daxton was excited to have some friends to sit by. We took a couple of pictures and then it was time to get on the plane. He took his new friend's hand and started heading down the ramp. He took about 10 steps then ran back to me. I lost it at that point. Why was I sending my 5 year old on a trip alone? It was weird to think that he was going to have experiences that I wasn't going to have with him. I didn't hesitate though. Daxton was crying a little, but I told him he needed to be brave and get on the plane. He said he wanted to take one more picture, which we did. Then he took another little girls hand and walked on the plane. What a trooper! He didn't look back at that point. I called Brandon in tears, but trying not to make a scene at the same time. I swear it was like sending my son off to war! Would he return? Would he be brave? Would he miss me?
I composed myself and then called my mom, who was already waiting at the airport on the other end. She wondered out loud if it was too early to be doing this. I reassured her that "we", meaning me and Daxton were ready and that we'd both enjoy the time he was with her.
I was right. In the end, it was a nice break for me. Grady and I bonded. I got a lot done with the whole quilting business thing (I know ya'll are wondering about that-more later). It was a great, quiet week.
Daxton got home on Sunday. He had quite the adventure. He acts so grown up now. I guess once you can fly to another state on your own you earn the right to act a little more grown up.
We're glad to have him home. Yes he returned, yes he was brave, and yes... he missed me.

5 comments:

Chelsea said...

Hey Mandy! Oh my gosh I cant believe he went on a plane all by himself! Me and Brayden are sitting here, jaws dropped! What a brave boy, and wow, that must have been bitter sweet for you! He misses his mama even when he's at my house!! its very cute, and I have told you before but those pics are the proof that Daxton looks JUST LIKE YOU! :)

foreveryoung said...

I was wondering how the rest of his trip went. I'm glad to hear that he had fun, despite the sad beginning :) What a brave little boy (I asked Kylie if she wanted to fly to see her Papa, and she started getting teary eyed just talking about it!)

Mary Ann said...

HI MANDY! It has been forever since I have seen you. Autumn gave me your address. You have the cutest boys. I have run in to Brandon a couple times and asked about you. Hopefully we can keep in touch with these blogs. I love them. Such cute pictures. Sounds like quite the adventure for you all!! Glad Daxton had a good time. My blog address is: wayneandmaryannlayton.blogspot.com

Nancy said...

Mandy you are very brave, and yes it is hard letting go and letting them have adventures on their own. It is hard to believe that they will be doing tons of things that we won't have a clue that they are doing. That makes me a little sad to think of when I send my kids to school. I'm glad to hear Daxton did a good job.DAXTON ROCKS!

Michael and Brinn said...

Gosh Mandy- Reading your little blurb got me all teary eyed. No, I'm not pregnant. I can't believe how big he is getting. I bet you both had a great time. At least you knew he was going to be in the best care.