

My whole life I've been telling people that neither of my parents graduated from college. I was usually stating the fact, but at the same time proving that success doesn't require a college degree. It never mattered to me that they didn't finish.
That being said, I never thought it would be such an emotional moment when I watched my mom get her diploma. Jessie and I both felt like the proud mothers who had finally gotten their child to this moment in life. We just couldn't help but cry over this amazing accomplishment. It probably had a lot to do with the fact that her graduating was somewhat related to our dad's death. She wouldn't have gone back to school yet, if he'd been here to keep her occupied with other things. The crying probably also comes from being so proud of her starting and accomplishing such a great task despite the turn her life had taken. She is truly my hero and I am SO PROUD OF HER!
Brandon and I flew up for the ceremony at the University of Utah. It was a wonderful weekend of family and food. Jessie and Steve took us all to dinner at a lovely French restaurant (mom studied French in school) to celebrate mom. Brandon and Steve got to play golf in the snow. Grandma and Grandpa, and mom and I got to do a little shopping- including a stop at Shepherd's Bush (the greatest cross-stitching store in the west). It was wonderful to be there for the occasion.
I can't imagine how it will feel to truly have one of my own children accomplish such a great thing. I've got a lot of work to do first.
Congratulations Mom, you are my hero.
2 comments:
Congratulations to your mom! I love your slide show, it's so fun to see the younger version of your family (not that you're old, but you know what I mean!) My favorite is the one with both of your boys sleeping. I'm glad you're down for the "Bachelor" party and I may be sending Jason down to watch it with Brandon, he has the same concerns :)
There wasn't room for a comment on the celebrity post, but I can't not comment on Winston Churchill, come on that's awesome! Daxton is striking quite the super model pose in that picture :)
Post a Comment